epirb false alarms
The Global Maritime Distress & Safety System
- The cornerstone of GMDSS is the Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.
- EPIRBs transmissions are automatically retransmitted
to Rescue Co-ordination Centres.
- Up to 97% of EPIRB transmissions in a year are false alerts.
- If RCCs are not informed quickly of false alerts, the shipowner can face heavy fines.
- Ships rarely know when they have lost an EPIRB and transmitted a false distress alert.
- A Standguard alarm gives audible warning that an EPIRB has been armed and triggered.